On Fri, January 13, 2006 4:47 pm, Jay Paulson wrote:
>> Buffering 10 lines of text in PHP is probably not going to make a
>> significant difference...
>
> This is true.  It's what I have written to start with.  Basically I'm
> just
> trying to make sure that I'm not hogging system memory with a huge
> file b/c
> there are other apps running at the same time that need system
> resources as
> well.  That's the main reason why I'm using a buffer to read the file
> in and
> parse it a little at a time.  By all means test it out on your
> hardware and
> see what that buffer needs to be.

I'm not saying not to read it a little at a time.

I'm saying 1 line at a time, using the most natural code, is PROBABLY
at least as fast as, if not faster than, the 10-line buffer version
posted.

And the 1-line buffer of PHP fgets() is far easier to maintain.

So unless you've got test data to prove the 10-line buffer helps,
throw it out, and just use fgets() 1-line buffer.

:-)

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm