At 07:43 PM 1/16/2006, Angelo Zanetti wrote:

Hi all.

I'm using the PHP mail function to send a confirmation email to a person once they register on the site. A few thing that happens with 2 of the mail accounts that we're testing to receive the mail is that the mail never is received. One of the mail accounts is a Yahoo account, the other a local email from a service provider.

What could be the factors contributing to this? Could it be anti-spam software? or could there be something else that is blocking the mail? Or could there be a problem with my PHP mail function?

All other mail account types (eg: hotmail, gmail etc...) are able to receive the email.

Any help would be great.
Thanks in advance!

--

Angelo Zanetti
Z Logic

There could be any number of reasons. Here are two:

1. How are you sending mail? Is each message generated individually, or are you "bulking" them, using the bcc: field? Anti-spam software targets this and often blocks mail sent this way.

2. Could you be in a blocked set of IP addresses? We generate emails every evening from ExpertHost.ca; at one time a spammer used one of their servers. A specific customer complained that he never received news of the next day's bulletin. Checking with his IT dept, and ExpertHost, led to the discovery about the spam, and the blocking his IT dept had put in place.

The end user can also be the problem, depending on how the anti-spam software is set up. Maybe the very frequency of mail from the same address triggers the block.

Is a complete and useful set of headers generated in the email? Do other Yahoo accounts receive your email? Have you talked to the local ISP?

This isn't much help, but the problem is a social one, not a PHP one.

Cheers - Miles