Thanks to all of you who responded.  Yes, I am doing the grid --basically
100 radio buttons, that is ten comments that must be ranked from 1 to 10.

 Thanks so much Tedd for the JavaScript.  I will keep that snippet for use
and study to improve my JS skills.

Unfortunately I should have said that I need to stay away from JS in case
the users have shut that down in their browsers.  I know I can detect that
and have them turn it on but I'm dealing with folks who are not technically
adept and the survey is long.  Given the length of the survey (over 100
questions) any additional hurdles will further lower the rate of return.  So
I  really think I need to do this in PHP though I am open to suggestions
here.

John, you said this could easily be done by returning to the page -- that is
what I am doing for the validation of the other questions on this page of
the survey.  My question, then, is how do I validate this grid of radio
buttons in php without using Javascript and remember, too, that the user
only has to answer one question so I have to deal with possible numerous
null or no responses within the  grid of radio buttons.  They might rank
only one color and that would be okay or they might rank any number between
1 and 10.

(Additional note -- I am already carrying their responses over when they
submit the page so that any radio buttons selected are still selected when
the page shows up again after submitting.)

Again, thanks so much for the help so far but I'd like to keep this in php
if I could.

HiFi Tubes