Richard Lynch wrote:
> On Tue, January 17, 2006 11:18 pm, Albert wrote:
> > The page having the heaviest load uses 5 simultaneous sessions - they
> > refresh every 5 seconds. Even with just one connection there are 16
> > Apache
> > threads running all occupying between 5 and 20% of CPU.
>
> Are you saying that you have a page that chews up 5 HTTP connections,
> and each uses PHP heavily, and you reload that page every 5 seconds?

I have a page that loads which never refreshes.

It displays three images generated with PHP. The three images updates at
least once every 5 seconds because the content actually changes.

It also has an information page displaying information about the three
images which also updates every time the image changes.

> Maybe you shouldn't do that...
>
> Stretch it out to 10 seconds and see where your load goes.

At 10 seconds all the problems disappear. Unfortunately the customer
requires this to update at least every 5 seconds.

> Find out which of the 5 sessions is most expensive (slowest).  Can you
> cache the results of that one?  How about the second slowest?  Can you
> cache ANYTHING to make the application faster?

I am now busy converting the three images and info page to use a cached copy
if they have not changed.

> > Does anyone have an idea of what I can do (short of recoding)?
> #1. Buy more hardware, and build a server farm.
On the lowest end of the spectrum (up to 5 simultaneous users) I have to
make it work on a Celeron 400 with 512MB RAM.

At the highest end (up to 100 simultaneous users) I have a Dual Xeon 3.4GHZ
with 2GB RAM and SCSI drives.

> #2. Buy the Zend Cache
Will probably to that for the top end machines. The Zend Cache costs more
than my lowest end machine after assembly.

> #3. Install some other Cache product (most of which aren't as
> good/fast/solid as Zend Cache, imho)
I tend to trust Zend a bit more than the other developers (maybe because PHP
is based on the Zend engine).

If I didn't have budget constraints then I would have had the Zend Cache on
each and every machine leaving my office.

Albert