Perhaps keeping your current setup and adding a link that opens an
embedded player in a popup window would be a good compromise.  That way
people who just want to stream the sermons can do so, and with the
player in a popup window they could still surf the web while listening.

As far as file format, it might be worth looking into using the OGG
Vorbis format.  There are players on Windows/Mac/Linux that support the
format and it uses compression, so the file sizes should be a bit
smaller than mp3s.  Take a look at http://www.vorbis.com/ for more info.

Just some ideas..

Brady