You are correct, however that also seems to have to do with the actual class
or php code and not a server configuration. If I copy my PHP files to the
'other' server, everything works as expected -- no change in code required.
This is why I suspect it is a PHP/Apache/php.ini type of problem. But as I
tried to illustrate, the php.ini seems to be nearly the same on both
servers.