Dave Kennedy wrote:

Env:
Windows XP
PHP 4.3.10 (cgi-fcgi)

I am trying to capture the html output of Balance.php to a file:
The code loops over <month> and <branch> to build up a report in
export/Balance.html

exec('c:\php\php -q Balance.php export=all branch=<branch> month=<month>
login=admin password=admin >> export/Balance.html');

This command works in Linux when called from a web page.
In Windows it works from the command line but from a web page it hangs - a cmd and php process are left running in
the Windows Task Manager

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Sounds similar to something I had going on. In Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Services (I don't know of a shorter way to get there), I had to right-click on the Apache service and under Log On - check Allow service to interact with desktop.

I run run Php as an Apache module, but you may want to give that a try.