If you really want to create Excel files directly from php, the attached
file (untested) may help.  I found this somewhere on the net while
looking for the same solution.

What I wound up using is the _excellent_ Spreadsheet::WriteExcel module
for Perl.  We simply call the perl CGI for that function of our web app.
Works great!  It also has a Spreadsheet::ParseExcel companion which
works equally well.

The only problem we had with this was not being able to get to the
contents of the session while in Perl.  Could have jumped through some
hoops to get it, but wound up hacking around it by using a long query
string with the pertinent parameters (ugly, but works).

Al