Hi All,

I'm having an odd problem with formatting of line feeds in an email my site automatically sends to me when someone comments on one of my blog entries.

For some reason "\r\n" characters are coming through exactly like that in the email, and yet the same value being stored in the backend MySQL database seems to represent the carriage-return \ line-feed characters as it should.

A typical example of the value when sent in the email would be:

Lol, hi Duncan.\r\n\r\nIt\'s possible that this post once had some comments. I
lost most of PT at one point when my host had a harddrive crash, and salvaged a
lot of entries from local copies on my computer, and notes I\'d scribbled in my
journals and so on.\r\n\r\nStill, it\'s great to see you commenting on the post
that made you a legend on PT!\r\n\r\nMuch warmth,\r\n\r\nMr Banderas

The odd thing is that the rest of the email is correctly interpreting line-feed characters, it's only the value entered on the comment form that represents CR \ LFs as normal characters.

I'm not sure if this is the culprit, but because my remote host for this site has magic_quotes_gpc on, and my local setup doesn't, I run the following function every time a page is requested where form processing is performed:

  function traverse ( &$arr )
  {
      if ( !is_array ( $arr ) )
          return;

      foreach ( $arr as $key => $val )
is_array ( $arr[$key] ) ? traverse ( $arr[$key] ) : ( $arr[$key] = stripslashes ( $arr[$key] ) );
  }

Can anyone give me any thoughts on how to represent these CR \ LF characters properly in the email?

Many thanks,

Murray

--
"Lost in thought" :-