On 7 Feb 2006, at 11:13, Jochem Maas wrote:

in theory your done, in practice something might bite you in the ass ... oh and then there is the issue of making sure that the redhat package manager really won't overwrite your handbuilt php install (cannot for the life of me remember what you have
to do to make redhat ignore the php install).

This might be of help: http://www.ae.iitm.ac.in/pipermail/ilugc/2005- August/020152.html

You can edit those srpms to include whatever configure line switches you need.

I run RHEL4, and my own compile of PHP, set up outside of rpm. You only need to worry about rpm getting confused if you use it to install any packages that are dependent on php, e.g. squirrelmail. Essentially either do ALL of your PHP setup and install through rpm or none of it. I'm quite happy handling PHP myself, and conflicts are rare as php is rarely a dependency for apps installed through rpm.

Marcus
--
Marcus Bointon
Synchromedia Limited: Putting you in the picture