Let's say you did some change on your popup window (page2.php)
if(isset($_POST['change']))
{
 # your "changes" code here
 # and, once you are finished you are going to execute the folloving html
code
?>
        <head>
                <script language="JavaScript"><!--
                        function close_redirect() {
                        parent.opener.location='page1.php';
                        parent.close();
                 }
                 //--></script>
        </head>
<?php
        exit; # with this exit you are not allow executing the rest of the code
}

popup (page2.php) will close and page1.php will be refreshed.

-afan