[snip]
    I wanted to adjust my register global settings in my php.ini file. I
found instructions on this page:
    http://www.dmcinsights.com/phpmysql/phpini.php

    The first thing it says to do is take a look at the results of
phpinfo(); to see where the php.ini file actually is.

    So I created a phpinfo.php file, put in the following code:
<?php
phpinfo();
?>
    ... and then accessed it through FireFox at localhost.

    To my surprise, I got the following error message:

Warning: Unknown(/home/dave/web_sites/phpinfo.php): failed to open
stream: Permission denied in Unknown on line 0

Warning: (null)(): Failed opening '/home/dave/web_sites/phpinfo.php' for
inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in Unknown
on line 0
[/snip]

Where did you put the phpinfo.php file after you created it? Did you try
accessing like this; http://127.0.0.1/phpinfo.php ?