Jay Blanchard wrote:
[snip]
In the spirit of re-inventing the wheel... I rolled my own JinnDoc.
[/snip]

My single largest arguement against these kinds of tools were the additional
mark-up required.  Code commentary, done properly, can yield the same
results without additional mark-up. I'd rather be able to insert a code
comment or html comment with a simple 'type' to tell me what the commentary
is. It makes it much more universal where auto-doc harvesters are concerned
and removes the requirement for page level elements to be stated first, etc.

example(s)

/* type=description
 *
 * describe whatever is being described here
 */

or
<!-- type="description"
whatever is being described
-->

or
$myBigVar = 'large' //type=variable

Before each function I create, I have this:

/*
//  Function    :       getCategoryEmail
//  Description :       Retrieves a list of email addresses based on
//                      past orders per category
//  Requires    :       $catids (Array) - Array of category ids
//                      $id (Integer) - The DCHOB site id
//  Optional    :       None
//  Returns     :       Array with email addresses and stats; false on
//                      failure
//  Author      :       John Nichel
//  Email       :       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
//  Created     :       20 Mar 05
//  Modified    :
//  Modified By :
//  Mod Email   :
//  Mod Date    :
*/

Major block of code...

/*
//  Description :       Checks if customer has come in thru BorderFree;
//                      sets appropriate flags if true
//  Expected    :       If a BorderFree id is set either in the POST or
//                      GET request, assign id to users session so it
//                      so that it will be available should customer
//                      attempt to purchase.  If id does not match known
//                      BF syntax, email admin with name/value pair; set
//                      flag for normal checkout with logging
//  Author      :       John Nichel
//  Email       :       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
//  Created     :       20 Mar 05
//  Modified    :
//  Modified By :
//  Mod Email   :
//  Mod Date    :
*/

Variables...

$foo = "bar"  //  This is what this variable is for

So on, and so forth. I am the IT department here, so I'm not worried about documenting it yet. ;)

--
John C. Nichel IV
Programmer/System Admin (ÜberGeek)