tedd wrote:
> Hi:
>
> Curt. said:
>
>> PHP 4.4.2 - Released Jan 13 2006
>> php 5.1.2 - Released Jan 12 2006
>> PHP 5.0.5 - Released Sept 6 2005
>>
>> I wouldn't expect any more releases of 5.0.x version.
>

> Pardon my ignorance -- I have enough problems pounding out code to spend
> time following what's happening at the higher levels. But, considering
> the above statement, are there continuing development paths for both php
> 4 and 5 independently?
>
> If so, what's the distinction between the two, oop? And if so, what
> about non-oop stuff -- do they share common libraries, or what?
> Generally, how does all of this fit together?
>
> Thanks.
>
> tedd

PHP 5.1 is the active development branch.  5.1.2 is the latest release
of that branch.

4.4 and 5.0 are old branches, they are not actively being developed.
Security and some bug fixes are applied to these branches, hence the
recent releases.

If you are developing new code, I'd recomend using 5.1.  Some servers
still use 4.4 and should probably be avoided.  There's fairly
substantial differences between 4 & 5 making upgrading an issue; I
suspect the devs will get tired of patching up version 4 soon, making
security an issue.

David Tulloh