Jochem Maas wrote:
blackwater dev wrote:

I am trying to recompile php 5 with freetds so am using this :

which specific version?
try another [pristine] src tarball.

./configure '--with-apxs2=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs'
'--with-mysql=/root/mysql-standard-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686'
'--with-mssql=/usr/local/freetds'

you found freetds there I take it? (I saw your previous related post)

Things seem ok so I do make and at the end of make I get this error:

/usr/bin/ld:ext/mssql/php_mssql.lo: file format not recognized; treating as
linker script
/usr/bin/ld:ext/mssql/php_mssql.lo:2: syntax error
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libphp5.la] Error 1

I then did make install and of course got the same error:

/usr/bin/ld:ext/mssql/php_mssql.lo: file format not recognized; treating as
linker script
/usr/bin/ld:ext/mssql/php_mssql.lo:2: syntax error
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make: *** [libphp5.la] Error 1

I then do make clean.  Of course, it doesn't seem to regenerate the
libphp5.so so once I restart apache, and check out phpinfo, it shows the old

'make clean' doesn't install anything. it's the 'make install' that would
install the .so if the error didn't occur. no?

'make clean' undoes all of the compiling, so you have to do at least 'make' again (maybe configure too, can't remember off hand).

You won't be able to install this module because it didn't finish compiling properly.

As for the problem..

This suggests (found through google by searching for the error message :P):

http://www.phparch.com/discuss/index.php/m/8536/062674b9ac3b46fc71fa818bdc36dc04/

using

--with-mssql=/usr/local

instead of