On Monday 06 March 2006 07:56, tedd wrote:
> So, I'm still trying to find a simple way around this problem. Either
> I renumber the "id" field OR provide an external counter to present
> to the user. I don't see any other solutions, does anyone?
>
> Thanks.
>
> tedd

I haven't followed this thread very closely, so pardon me if I'm just
repeating what's already been said.  In order to have gaps in the DB, you
have to delete records out of the DB.  What if you do not allow people to
actually remove records from the DB, but rather have a "deleted" or "removed"
column.  That way all the IDs are still valid, but you also have a way of
knowing what's current and what is not.  Just a thought.

--
Ray Hauge
Programmer/Systems Administrator