I'm trying to set up an ID field that works like this for news articles that are posted to a website.

2006-03-05a
2006-03-05b

I know how to generate the date, and I am pretty sure I can generate the letter code based on counting the number of rows and then assigning the next letter (we will never have more than 26 in a day... usually its closer to 1 or 2 per day).

The problem is if there has been something deleted.

2006-03-05a
2006-03-05c

If I then Count the rows with this date I get an answer of 2, and so the next letter should be "c" but there already is a "c" because "b" got deleted.

So, is there any way of generating this style ID number automatically?

--
Kevin Murphy
Webmaster - Information and Marketing Services