Based on the area increase; I'd expect the file size to about double, not be 4x as large.

$src_img = imagecreatefromgif($filename);

$dest_img = imagecreatetruecolor($new_width, $new_height);

Can anyone explain or have a solution?

Here's my take -- gif's are no longer supported by the GD library because of patent problems. So development of how to deal with them has been moved to png.

Gif's have a 256 color palette, but PNG has a 48-bit color palette and using imagecreatetruecolor() you greatly increase the file size of the image .

A better choice for your code would be to use imagecreate() which has a maximum of 256 color palette.

Please post if this works or not.

tedd