ah, perhaps you don't have a shell account. With a shell account you would telnet to the server and enter the which command on the command line right after your prompt, once you were logged on.

try creating a file called "which.php"

have it contain the following;

<?php
$result = exec("which php");
echo $result;
?>

Upload it to your website and execute it in your browser. I uploaded it to my RedHat Linux server and it showed the following;

/usr/local/bin/php

good luck,

Warren Vail