[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm working on the script that has to read csv file (51 column an a little
> bit over 3000 rows) with products and store the info in DB.
> Script works fine while I tested on csv files up to 200 records.
> And, when I tried to upload REAL data I got this.
> PHP: Fatal error: Allowed memory size of 8388608 bytes exhausted ...
>
> On google I found as a solution to put
> ini_set("memory_limit","12M");
> on the top of the script, except allowed memory size wasn't 8m then 12m
> bytes.
> I tried with 16M and it worked :)
>
> My question is how "far" I can go with increasing? Where is "the limit"?
> Why is not 24M as default in php.ini?
>
> Thanks!
>
> -afan

I think 16m should be enough in most cases..

Would like to see the script. Try to avoid reading large files in once
file() file_get_contents0.
Use fopen en fgets. I work with txt files over 40 m and hardly get 1 m
of memory usage.

You could also try to run the program with the unix nice command. Just
don't think
increasing is a solution. What if you get a 300 m csv file? Well just my
2 cents.

Thijs