On 4/1/06, Ryan A <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hey all,
> Ok, spoke to the "boss" and he has agreed for me to give you the following
> info;
>
> Heres what the app does:
> - Clients add their sites in their "client control panel" which we give them
> at our site
>
> - Client installs our script on his server, every time someone logs in their
> username is sent to us along with their IP
> and "other details" (cant reveal due to NDA but unimportant in this emails
> context)
>
> - we take the username and query the db to see if this username already
> exists and what parameters this username has set
> -- we update the database for statistics
> -- we update this usernames parameters
> -- again run SQL statements 1-3 times
>
> (Other processing happens between the above points of course but not related
> to the database so I didn't write them and some points couldn't write due to
> the NDA - my apologies once again)
>

> NOTE: The above is for _one_ username and _one site_ ..... eventually there
> will be hundreds of sites and each site will have X number of usernames
> which will be sent to us for processing.

are they emailed to you? are they done through a remote php script
(http://www.domain.com/blah.php) ?

> If this project goes well and once we can afford it this will be moved to a
> dedicated box but till then... do you guys foresee any problems with
> PHP->database->PHP

Sounds ok in theory.

> show status like '%connection%';
>
> gave me these results:
>
> Connections  49029
> Max_used_connections 109

Looks fine. Don't know whether you can tell whether your user has
connection limits or not.

> I was also looking at mysql_pconnect() and reading up about it at php.net,
> most of the comments say to actually avoid it, but reading what i wrote on
> top.... what do you say? any alternate suggestions as usual are most welcome
> too.

persistent connections are more pain than they are worth. Basically
instead of opening a connection, then closing it at the end of the
script, they open the connection, when the script ends, it's left open
potentially for the next script to use. Good in theory but not great
in practice.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/