Ruben Rubio Rey wrote:
The best and simplest for me is prototype.js

Is much more than ajax ! 100% cross browser! ang GPL!

http://www.sergiopereira.com/articles/prototype.js.html

Note that quite a few people who know a lot about Javascript really don't like the fact that prototype.js extends the basic Array type. This means that if you have any Javascript that isn't prototype.js aware, chances are pretty good that it will break because, for example, you can't iterate over the elements of an Array anymore. It also doesn't namespace any of its symbols which again means it doesn't play nice with others. And my last real gripe is that it is a single monolithic library. It's all or nothing.

I am of course rather biased, but I strongly prefer the Yahoo! User Interface Library. You can read about it here:

  http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/

It is a set of tiny standalone components that won't in any way interfere with any other Javascript code you might have and you can pick and choose just the things you need.

-Rasmus