Hi guys

Been tryin to figure out regex and have found some tutorials but some have made
things clear and others have confused me.

Anyway for a simple query, if I just wanted to check that a variable has only
text and numeric characters would I do something like this
(i want it to fail if it finds a symbol eg: + - { " etc...):

echo  "REG result: " . preg_match('/[a-zA-Z0-9]*/', '{d-fg');

however this resolves to true because there are normal characters (alphabetical
characters) so how do I make the expression fail because of the { and -
characters in the string?

You can also list which characters you DON'T want -- just use a '^' as the
first symbol in a bracket expression
(i.e., "%[^a-zA-Z]%" matches a string with a character that is not a letter between two percent signs). But that would mean that I would have to list each symbol I dont want and that would be undesireable as it would be better to list exactly what the acceptable characters are.

Can anyone give me some insight as to where I'm going wrong?

thanks

--

Angelo