On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 18:38, tedd wrote:
> At 3:14 PM -0400 4/8/06, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >On Sat, 2006-04-08 at 14:00, Paul Goepfert wrote:
> >>  I'm not looking for someome to do it for me.  I would like to learn
> >>  how to do this my self.  I have written code in Java and C/C++ before.
> >>   From the function list in the PHP manual some of the functions look
> >>  like the C/C++ functions.
> >
> >That's a good observation. PHP drew a lot of it's initial design
> >directly from C.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >Rob.
>
> Rob:
>
> Isn't php written in C?

It is, but so are many other languages that don't keep much of the C
philosophy :) Part of the philosophy behind PHP was to make it easy for
developers writing traditional CGI (the hard way in C) to make the
switch to PHP. The other part of the philosophy was to make it simple
enough for the average programmer to also use. Somewhere along the line
I think they came across a good mesh... although some critics would say
that those elements are a bad thing. Personally I love the closeness to
C. I've had routines in C that I've cut and pasted into PHP, prefixed
the vars with a $, removed var declarations, tweaked a few other things
here and there (pointers *hah*) and voila, it runs *drool*.

Cheers,
Rob.