Several methods are supported by mysql, here is the one I like,

select * from table1 a, table2 b where a.col1 = b.col1

In this case the a and b are "aliases" of table1 and table2 respectively and the notation a.col1 and b.col1 refers to column "col1" in table1 and table2 respectively. You can used the same notation in left and right joins if you don't want to use the hard join illustrated here. (In a hard join, if the value in table1 is missing from table2 no row is returned, even if one exists in table 1).

hope this helps,

Warren Vail