On Friday 14 April 2006 10:07 pm, you wrote:
> I don't have any further suggestions to make; it sounds like you're
> looking at all the right things.  I hope you find the problem by
> stripping it down to the bare bones.  Please post your findings to
> the list whether you figure it out or not.

Thanks again. I have finally tracked down the root cause to my original
problem. I was using the select HTML construct a little too glibly. I was
using it in the form:

<?php
$name .= "Space         9";

echo "<form action='submit.php' enctype='text/plain'>\n";
echo "<select name='stationName' >\n";
echo "<option>\n";
echo "$name\n";

echo "</select>\n";
echo "<p><input type='submit' name='submit' value='Submit'>\n";
echo "<input type='reset' name='reset' value='Reset'>\n";

echo "</form>";
?>

i.e not providing a value attribute on the option construct to be passed to
the submitted form, and so the stationName contained the *rendered* string,
not the string that was input.

Thanks again to all who sent suggestions. I guess one still has things to
learn after 10+ years using HTML.

Regards,
GEQ

--