On Tue, April 18, 2006 3:54 am, Jochem Maas wrote:
> does anyone have a concise list of the functionality
> missing from the CGI SAPI in comparison to the the Apache
> module (including any functional differences)? as far as I can
> tell CGI doesn't give me anything extra in terms of functionality
> but the precise differences elude me (STFW didn't turn up
> any difinitive info - that might a be monday morning issue,
> combined with a lack of coffee)

I know I once tracked down all four (4) things in PHP 3 that wouldn't
"work" with CGI and posted to the PHP list.  There was only one list
back then...

I think one was the HTTP Authentication, because the username/password
would have to be passed on the command line to the CGI.  Or
*something* that would have required passing a password on the command
line, so it was disabled for that reason, and HTTP Authentication is
the obvious candidate.

IIRC, the other functions were soooo esoteric, there wasn't any real
reason to prefer CGI/Module in terms of "feature set" other than HTTP
Auth, but that was long ago, so there may be more functionality now
that matters.

If you have a really GOOD reason to use CGI, you probably will not
notice any features "missing".  If you do, almost for sure a quick
read of the docs on php.net will tell you WHY that feature is missing
from CGI, even if you can't find a single-page collection of those
features.

Performance under CGI can suck, or not, depending, as I understand it:

*IF* all your Apache children and enough PHP CGI processes can "fit"
in RAM without page-faulting, then it's fine.

Once your PHP CGI starts getting dumped to disk for page-faults,
performance goes bad fast.

This is just a parrot of what has been posted here in the past.

--
Like Music?
http://l-i-e.com/artists.htm