At 03:47 PM 4/18/2006, tedd wrote:
Unfortunately, not all browsers treat an image link in the same manner. For example, Safari and FireFox treats the link "/images/merged.png" as a new image every time. Unfortunately, Opera and some other browsers cache the first image and every time after that, the same large image is shown regardless of the thumbnail. In other words, they treat the link "/images/merged.png" as it has the same image each time, when it doesn't.

So, I have several options to solve this, but I was wondering if there was a way to force a browser not to cache images?

Why merge the images each time they're requested? I suggest you merge an image with the copyright notice only the first time it's requested, then save that merged image on the server and allow it to be cached normally. (This means deriving a unique name for each merged image, which could be as simple as using the original image filename in a new folder. You could keep the image originals in a folder below root to protect them from public access.) In the unlikely event that you ever needed to refresh the photo+copyright merges, you could simply delete the merged images from the server and let your program regenerate them as needed.

Paul