Matt Todd wrote:

There's nothing wrong with staying true to the philosophy at all, I
just think that it may well be detrimental in the end. And that is
what I said in the (toilet)paper, that there will be (emphasis on the
eventuality, not on the present actuality) a time that PHP will become
the old stuff because it did not evolve with the philosophies.
It's true that a language that doesn't evolve with the market will die, but still you can expect us to follow any new trend because they believe it's "the way to salvation". Try to think first if the new philosophies can be properly applied to this market, if they can bring a proper solution to our problems (if not they will become a new problem and we don't want that). Anyway, programming languages have proved to live longer that one could ever expect. Before attending to PHP's funeral, I'm pretty sure we'll be burying another die harder language, like the C language, in a very emotional ceremony (I can almost see it, someone will cry loudly: "I'll miss using your precompiler macros!").

These philosophies are new and I can understand thinking that it's
hype, but it's important to recognize it as legitimate. Agile
Development (and the broader term Web 2.0) is, right now, the bleeding
edge of development, and I and many others see it as the future of
development philosophies.
Don't say it's good, prove it! All I can see in "Web 2.0" is "those guys are making more money than us, let's copy them!" "Those guys" are exploring uncharted area in web development and they're more worried in making their software work rather than worrying if the philosophy is appropiate or not. Still, marketing rules say "no mather how unappropiate your company's philosophy is, it's the best". Of course they will say "Web 2.0 is the best", is what they're doing and they don't want anyone to think they aren't giving the clients the best there is. And now we have to deal with even crazier request from our clients, like making an AJAX application in a week that supports all imaginable browsers in the market. They really believe that AJAX is a fucking walk in the park! AJAX is a fricking cocktail of death! Bring out the spaghetti code and let us feast on an eternal reengeneering cycle!

I'm not saying that Rasmus can't see, but that he will easily choose
to stay with how he sees the forest – understandable as I choose to
stay with what I see, but I think he has a lot invested in his view
and may not open up as easily.
Stop blaming the poor guy! He only made a tool he needed and was kind enough to share it with the world. If you want to blame someone for what direction PHP has taken, blame us! That's the whole point of PHP being open source, isn't it? All the current problems in PHP are directly or indirectly caused by whining developers and their extravagant requests. Magic quotes are bad? Well, teach those bastards to properly quote their sql's strings!

You think that currently PHP is being lead to unavoidable doom? By all means, be my guest and make PHP++, for all I care. The code it's there.

To Stut:

Honestly, I'd love to see basic variables be objects, as models of
real world data with properties for the data such as a $number->length
or $word->as_array() giving you letters.

Have you stop to think what the efficiency cost would be to make everything an object? We're already suffering much to avoid the "waiting 2.5 second it's way too much" cutline (they say we can't do real time applications) and you want to keep adding functionality that will deteriorate this? I love the way basic types are handled by PHP, I specially love PHP arrays, if you touch them, I fucking kill you!

I know that PHP is a functional language, and secondly, an OO
language, but I think that you can blend these things better and have
the OO brought to the forefront a bit more. Yes, I'm a fan of OO, but
I know that many people aren't and don't use PHP's OO (and don't when
it's appropriate). But I know you can integrate OO without having to
force the functional programmers to give up their way.

Have you been attending to your CS lessons? PHP is an *IMPERATIVE* language, and secondly, that the language provides OOP features doesn't make it an OO language. Maybe you have chosen your language wrongly, you should try JSP or any other Java based web server technology.

PS: I think you have the terms wrong. What you're calling functional programming may be what is usually known as procedural programming.

This is just ONE thing that could make PHP better and allow for more
modern philosophical development. Particularly, I would like to see
more creativity. Sure, PHP's moving fast, but with our big things
being Unicode support and removing globals and safe mode, I think that
we could be a little more innovative for PHP6.

Again, it's not behind the times right now, but the times are changing
and I'd like to see PHP change with them.

M.T.
I won't deny times are changing, there're a new problems that needs solving, but you keep focusing on the solution and you're no seeing what the real problem is. First there has appeared the need to create light-weight client applications inside a browser that's currently being solved by the infamous AJAX. Anyone who has ever developed such an application knows how a pain in the ass this can be. Secondly, the look and feel of a web site has changed a lot, and they have become more complicate in their representation. There is the need to come up with new ways of structuring a web site in the data layer to accomodate to the rythm nowadays sites need to change their looks and content.

Still I don't think this is a question of how server and client technologies are used, but a problem in the foundations of the whole systems. In other words, HTML and HTTP do not satisfy our needs anymore. Let's face it, we've gone a little bit further of what hypertext was supposed to be.

Anyway, I didn't want to keep on ranting about these matters on the list but I just have this mail in the drafts folder begging me to be send. I'll try to continue offlist, sorry to bother you all.