This setup nagged me for a bit too, until I found the solution...

The DLL files in C:\php need to be put into system32 directory.  Once
that happens they work like a charm, but until then, you are plagued
with issues.  I have my path set for C:\php and everything as well, but
it was not until copying the DLLs into the C:\Windows\System32 that
everything started working.  Thankfully Google held the answer.

Wolf