D. Dante Lorenso wrote:
Jochem Maas wrote:

I've already written the multi-threaded server using Java. I want to do this in PHP, however, because the PHP "threads" can re-use PHP classes I've already written and hence standardize on a single codebase and language. Many other languages have threads (Java, C#, Python, Ruby, etc) ... which is why I'm so amazed PHP does not even list Threads as a priority. You simply can't be an enterprise language without these basic features. Of course, don't get me started on namespaces too ;-)

oh yeah - threads really are basic. simple and easy to use, every
VB-scripter should be using them. btw Yahoo! seems to cope quite well without threads in php - fairly 'enterprise' infrastructure and load they deal with no?

Every time I try to use PHP in a web server to solve a problem like build a file upload progress meter, somebody screams that PHP is meant for far more than web scripting. Yet as soon as I try to use PHP in a context other than a web script, someone like yourself jumps up and complains that PHP needs to remain in the web scripting programming world only.

thats not what I said - not having threading doesn't mean you can't expand
php beyond the web paradigm, there are plenty of people who use php in the
shell (me for instance), and there's the php-gtk crowd too (not that I have
been there myself)

then again if threads are so basic for you - submit a patch that implements them (and obviously fix any/all thread-safety issues in all extensions etc),
from what I gather that's a mammoth undertaking - given the limited
core developer resources, that is one of the reasons it's low priority, and then
ofcourse there is the php 'philosophy' about threads in general (of which
the php-internals mailing archive should be able to shed some light)

Evolution of the language is a must. I AM working on trying to spec out

I guess your not looking for the food, water, shelter and clean air argument
- speaking of things that are a 'must' ;-)

an extension for PHP which would implement what I want with threading without having to hack zend and the core. I might think that some other C developers would be more suited for the job, however, considering they have already done the work for such a beast in just about every other popular language created so far.

I wish you luck, hope something comes of it - I'd gladly be a guinea pig
to test something like that, if nothing else i might learn something :-).

Obviously PHP General list is probably not the place where I can sway any opinions with any internals members, so I'll end this message simply saying that I am first seeking what already exists, what might already be in progress, and what still needs to be created. At the same time, I like to find others would may be trying to do something similar. I can not be alone in wanting to use PHP beyond what it is currently capable of. I trust there must be other PHP developers who wish to see the language take on some of the aspects we like about other languages while at the same time retaining all the elements we already enjoy with the existing feature set.

There is no better language for web development. Once outside it's niche of web scripting, tho PHP lacks severely. Seeing how developers

I think 'severely' is rather overstated. jmho.

have created CLI in order to compete with PERL for cron scripting and OO features of PHP5 to compete with other modern OO languages, I imagine PHP IS trying to be more. A Framework, Unicode, Namespaces, and Threads are the logical next step. Zend Framework and Unicode have made the todo list, Namespaces is fighting to get on, and Threads is nowhere to be seen.

time shall tell which way the wind blows us :-)

btw individual threads are very small & thin - hardly percepatable to
the human eye unless one is concentrating on looking for them ;->

Dante