On Thu, 2006-04-27 at 13:33, tedd wrote:
> At 9:18 AM -0700 4/27/06, Paul Novitski wrote:
>
> Okay, I understand how js and html can communicate with php -- but,
> that's not the problem. My statement above was part of a symmetrical
> requirement regarding communication.

Communication need not be symmetrical. All that is required is that each
end understand one another.

> >>2. A way to send information from php to js and have js act upon it.
> >
> >HTML, inline script blocks, dynamic script files, and cookies.
>
> But, show me an example of php doing each of the above where js will
> receive the data and will act upon it.

See google maps or google suggest for excellent examples.

> For example, if php creates a cookie, then how does js know that? How
> can the presence of a cookie cause js to run?

JS I do believe has access to the cookie. Either way, PHP is perfectly
cable of informing JS of the cookie.

> Can js cycle reading cookies waiting for something to do while php
> crons writing them as needed -- and vise-versa? Is that a viable
> method of communication and activation between the two?

Js can cycle, I don't suggest a while loop, it is better to use the
system timer to do periodic polling.

> Is there anything that php can do that will initiate a js routine? As

Yes:

echo <<<WAHOOEY

        goBabyGo();
    </script>
        Why are you staring at me?

WAHOOEY;

> far as I know (limited as I am) php can't even detect if js is
> present, or not, let alone cause a javascript routine to run -- is
> that not correct? If not, please give me an example of where php can
> make js run.

You're thinking is erroneous. PHP can indeed detect if JavaScript is
present. And as shown above it can cause a JavaScript routine to run. If
someone disable's JavaScript, that is not the problem of PHP, that is
akin to trying to run MS Winblows binaries under linux or vice versa --
the environment must be sane for the program to run.

Cheers,
Rob.