sathyashrayan wrote:
-----Original Message-----
From: John Nichel [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 9:11 PM
To: Php-General
Subject: Re: [PHP] Beginner's php/mysql connection probs

sathyashrayan wrote:
 Dear group,

(I am a very beginner so please bear with me for a simple question)

  I am a self thought php beginner. I wrote my first toy
code for database connection in php/mysql. The connection
is successful but iam getting a warning and my rows/columns
are not showing. I am getting a warning:

Warning:  mysqli_fetch_row() expects parameter 1 to be mysqli_result,
boolean given in c:\webs\test\dbs\one.php on line 13

I went through the php manual for the above mentioned function where
I get no clue. Pls guide me.

code:

  <head>
     <title> my first data base page </title>
  </head>
   <pre>
 <?php
    $conn = mysqli_connect("localhost","root","passwd","temp")
            or die("conn failed");
    $temp1 = "select *from grape_varity";
    $result = mysqli_query($conn,$temp);

Your query is failing.  I'm guessing that it's because you don't have a
space between '*' and 'from'

Better if you check to make sure the query was successful before trying
to get the data....

if ( ! $result = mysqli_query ( $conn, $temp ) ) {
        echo ( mysqli_error ( $conn ) );
} else {
        while ( $row = mysqli_fetch_row ( $result ) ) {
        ///  more code

Thanks for the quick help. I changed the code as you sugested and get

"Query was empty" as the result of the line echo (mysqli_error($conn)). So
does that mean the table is empty? But I did filled the table with some
value and mysql query displays the tables.

You assigned your query to the variable $temp1, but pass $temp to mysqli_query()

--
John C. Nichel IV
Programmer/System Admin (ÜberGeek)