From: René Fournier [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Friday, April 28, 2006 4:50 PM
To: PHP-General; John Hicks
Subject: Re: [PHP] Possible?

>> Anyway, I've started looking at this, but I'm not quite sure if it's
>> even possible. I mean, can "something" send a request to Apache, and
>> continue to write data along that TCP socket?
>> Normally, HTTP requests include GET or POST for such data, but this
>> is not a a web browser that's opening the connection.
>> Hope I'm somewhat clear. Just struggling through some options
>> here.... Anyway, thanks in advance for any suggestions.
>> ...Rene
>
> > each client will open a persistent TCP socket connection to a common
> > IP address:port (10.10.10.10:1234)
>
> (If you want simultaneous connections, each TCP connection will be to
> a different port.)

Well, not if the client (actually, it's a pre-programmed physical
device) is set to always open a socket connection to 10.10.10.10:1234...
right?

> But rather than write a client and a server application from scratch,
> why not just use HTTP POSTs?

I'm not writing the client, I just need to make a server that can accept
numerous simultaneous incoming socket connections, and maintain them.

Maybe stream_select() as someone suggested? I suppose my question would be,
can a single PHP socket server script, executed from the command-line,
maintain 1000s of concurrent connections (there is not a lot of data
incoming, btw)?

...Rene