On 02 May 2006 14:19, Barry wrote:

> > Oh my god -- curly brackets and excessive indentation --
> and curly brackets.  Just a mo, where did I put my
> curly-brackets-and-whitespace-glasses?  Aaaahhh, that's better!!
> >
> > As you might have guessed, I *HATE* curly brackets with a
> vengeance, which is why I eschew both those styles and use
> PHP's alternative syntax:
> >
> >   if (...):
> >      if (...):
> >        // mmh
> >      else:
> >        // oh
> >      endif;
> >      while (...):
> >        if (...):
> >          // oh
> >        else:
> >          if (...):
> >            // where am i?
> >          else:
> >            // huh!?
> >          endif;
> >          // hmm
> >        endif;
> >      if (...):
> >        if (...):
> >          // blah
> >        endif;
> >        // blah
> >      endif;
> >   // blah
> >   endif;
>
> Replacing { with : and } with endif doesn't make it more
> readable at all.

Sez you. To me, it totally does, and by quite a large factor.

> > Just beeeautiful!
>
> Still extreme compacted code.
> I just see codesalad on first look, nothing else.

Fair enough.  Whereas to me, in any of the curly-brace styles, all I see on a
first look is all those curly braces leaping up and trying to scratch my eyes
with their sharp little pointy bits.  Each to his own preference.

We should all just say thank goodness PHP lets us each do it to our own
preference -- I would daily curse the curly brackets if I had to use your
style, and you would long to expand my compact code if you had to use mine.
And at least we can all agree (we can, right?) that almost *any* kind of decent
layout is better than:

  if (...): if (...): // mmh
  else: /* oh */ endif; while (...):
  if (...): /* oh */ else: if (...): // where am i?
  else: /* huh!? */ endif; /* hmm */ endif; if
   (...): if (...): /* blah */ endif;
  /* blah */ endwhile; /* blah */
  endif;

Now that's extreme compaction -- and, yes, I have seen code written like that!!
;(

Cheers!

Mike

Headingley Campus, LEEDS,  LS6 3QS,  United Kingdom
Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To view the terms under which this email is distributed, please go to
http://disclaimer.leedsmet.ac.uk/email.htm