On 5/3/06, Richard Lynch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Tue, May 2, 2006 7:22 am, chris smith wrote:
> On 5/2/06, Ross <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> This is my database now...I will use the item_id for the order but
>> what if I
>> want to change item_id 3 to item id 1? How can I push all the items
>> down one
>> place? How can I delete any gaps when items are deleted.
>
> Why do you want to do that? There's no benefit in doing this..
> actually it becomes a pain.
>
> You'd need to update not only this table but any field in other tables
> that references this one as well (and if you miss one, you have a
> completely useless database).

No, we've got past that bit.

I posted that answer yesterday... By the time I got back to the thread
everyone had worked out that he wanted to use it for ordering results
;)

While you are at it, "id" is an awfully generic name for a field, really.

I personally prefer:
create table foo (foo_id int(11) auto_increment, ...);

But, hey, a lot of folks go with just "id" on everything, and seem
okay with that.  [shrug]

Very true - would get rather confusing in link tables:

create table news_cat (id int, id int);.... heh.

--
Postgresql & php tutorials
http://www.designmagick.com/