At 03:51 PM 5/3/2006, Phillip S. Baker wrote:

Greetings Gents,

I have an interesting problem I would like some ideas on for a solution.
I cannot seem to find any code examples on the net, though I might not be looking in the right place really.

I have some articles stored in a MySQL DB.
What I want is if the article is above a certain length in characters, to page article through a few pages for site readability.

So I would want to print X number of words/characters.
Save the where the pointer is, move on to the next page, and display the same amount and so on for as many pages as needed.

I know about pulling paged results using the limit function but that would not seem to apply as really I would want to page the results within one record (one field really).

Does anyone have any ideas??
Thanks

Phillip

Ideas mentioned thus far are all good. At the end of 2005 we changed allnovascotia.com, a daily business digest, from "continuous strip", to separate articles. Each article is stored in a database; the retrieved text is delivered via Flash. Presentation consists of headlines on left, story on the right in an htmlText control; clicking a headline loads the story into the htmlText control.

Subscribers like the new format because the whole issue was getting rather long, and now they can gun down the headlines and quickly read the lead paras and decide whether or not they want more of that story.

However - why do you think paging an article improves readability? What it does do is control the amount of text you display on a page so you can profitably surround it with advertising. It has no effect on readabilty -- that depends on the quality of the writing, clarity and size of font, and line length.

So, give them good dynamic design, a legible font, the ability to resize the type and ensure that the pieces are well-edited and written for easy reading in a browser.

Guess I'm an iconoclast, but when I see an artificially paged article I look for the "Print View" link so I can read it all at once. Heresy! Maybe that's another reason for paging -- you get more hits on the site.

Guess this has been more like a semi-rant, and probably not helpful. <g>

Cheers - Miles