At 12:18 AM +0200 5/14/06, Michelle Konzack wrote:
Am 2006-05-12 09:28:36, schrieb tedd:

 But, at some point (and I forgot to mention this in my previous post)
 all programmers start thinking in collections of data and a dB
 becomes a well suited solution (record holder and organizer) for
 that. As such, all data connected to a record, including images, are
 "better" suited if organized and saved in one place.

And if your database like mine crashs then you have lost all...
Restoring a Database of 1,8 TByte takes some hours!!!

How does a dB crash? Is it a hardware or software crash?

If it's software, then have you published the problem? Does mySQL have a bug?

If it's hardware, then it doesn't make any difference if the data is stored in a file-system or in a dB -- it's just so much binary on a hard drive that's no longer accessible.

Redundancy helps. While I've never done it, but from what I've read there are metrologies using multiple servers (like RAID) to keep things current "on-the-fly" so that you virtually eliminate "lose everything" crashes. While one may crash, the others live on in real-time.

If I was working with investments as large as that, then I would be looking for ways to protect it other than inspecting the overhead.

tedd