On May 19, 2006, at 8:20 AM, Jay Blanchard wrote:

[snip]
http://us2.php.net/variables.external
[/snip]

BINGO! We have a winner!

It can be as simple as adding an id to each checkbox;

<input type="checkbox" id="list37" name="list37[]" value="4" />

By doing this I did not have to change the function or the function
calls. JS recognizes the boxes by id, PHP recognizes the array.

There were some other more complex solutions listed.....but I believe in
KISS....
I'm one of 'em, I do javascript programming myself and finding the right
simplicity can be one hell of a task. I'll keep this in mind for the future.

I'm thinking of starting a web site database for posting of any and all
who are willing to contribute to a single source for all bugs, levels of
javascript DOM and css support in all or as many as possible extant
browsers. Quirks, you name it. It will be if you have knowledge and solutions
and want to contribute. It won't be a gripe and hold my hand and
listen to my woes, but look for a subject like a particular browser and
version, OS, platform and get a knowledge base for that query.

Here's one to start:
Internet Explorer v5 on Mac OSX and others won't run a function
with a variable declared inside the function. The variable has to
be declared outside of the function in the global space before
it will be used inside a function. This occurs with form submission
from an onclick event, rather than a submit button. I do this to
insure that input filters are run before the form is sent to the server.
The functions I write for this do pre submit processing like run
regex filters on text fields  and text areas and use document.forms
formname.submit(). In a particular class of browser, but not all versions
of the same browser nor platform will run the function with variables
declared inside the function.
I don't think this is 'OT' for this list because for me php and javascript
are great team mates. But javascript can be a rats nest particularly
for dhtml.
I have some demonstrations in my web site but I'm being timid about
giving out the url until it has time to prove it will stay afloat before a crowd
tries to use it. (I host my own site from an ADSL connection).
I'm running php 5.0.1 with gd support, freetype, t1, mysql, etc, etc.
on FreeBSD.
JK.