[snip]
As I mentioned in my more recent mail, this unfortunately isn't an
option since I need to run on port 80 without disturbing the existing
webserver, which requirse that the script be running through the
webserver :(
[/snip]

I have been reading this thread with much interest and think that
perhaps a different approach may be needed. What, exactly, are you
trying to accomplish? Skip past the persistency, etc. and describe the
problem for which you are seeking a solution. I have the feeling that
there may be a way to do what you want with PHP if you will describe the
process.