>Tedd,
>
>The discussion of PHP strings has been interesting; thanks for sparking that.
>
>Of course, your subject line to the contrary, it's not that "z" != "z", it's
>that storing an alphabetic character assumed to be a single byte in a variable
>and then incrementing it can result in a two-byte result.  I find it plausible
>that the statement $a = "a" produces a two-byte result in the first place, we
>just don't notice it because the second byte is turned sideways and is very,
>very skinny.
>
>I assume you know (but I'll state it anyway for the record) that to avoid the
>problems you've encountered by trying to treat apparently multi-byte PHP
>string variables like one-byte numerics, you can simply use numerics
>themselves:
>
>        for ($i = ord("a"); $i <= ord("z"); $i++)
>        {
>                echo chr($i);
>        }
>
>ord() and chr() being the PHP functions to yield the numeric value of a
>character and the ASCII character of a numeric value:
>http://php.net/ord & http://php.net/chr
>
>To save that hard-working server a few machine cycles, one would presumably
>store ord("z") in a variable before the loop began and test for that each
>iteration.
>
>Warm regards,
>Paul

Paul:

And I thank you for your reply -- you've been much kinder than most (on and
off-list). :-)

True the subject line was a bit misleading, but that was intentional. Bait
causes more fish to rise.

I've received the answer several times over since I posted the problem, but I
wasn't looking for a solution because I already had one.

What I was looking for was an explanation, which I "got". I hope the answer
remains with me longer than the bandages do. Asking questions in this group is
like trying to feed alligators while being waist-deep in the swamp. :-)

Thanks.

tedd