I have a shell script I want to run which generates an html page after it
runs some tests on the software I am writing.

I call the script with exec(…);

The tests take more than 2 minutes to complete.

If I try to run more than one test at the same time: trouble.

I want to solve this by checking somehow whether the tests are running.

If so, then the php code just waits until the running test are complete,
referring the second user to the same results page as the first.

Ideas anyone?