php-general Digest 30 Apr 2001 15:35:27 -0000 Issue 658

Topics (messages 50824 through 50867):

Best Practice-HTML In Database
        50824 by: John Monfort
        50825 by: Michael Hall
        50826 by: Donald Goodwill
        50848 by: Mark Roedel

suggestion needed about du command run on PHP
        50827 by: Mark Lo \(3\)

why isn't get_browser() not working?
        50828 by: elias
        50845 by: Mark Roedel
        50856 by: Joe Sheble (Wizaerd)

session array :-/
        50829 by: Christian

PHP4, APACHE, SCO & INFORMIX
        50830 by: Paul Gardiner

Re: Loading PHP module on Win98
        50831 by: Phil Driscoll
        50839 by: elias

Split Weirdness.
        50832 by: Nick Davies
        50834 by: Zak Greant

backends
        50833 by: chris herring
        50835 by: elias

PHP 4.0.3 : Sessions & history.back() : a solution ?
        50836 by: Matthieu Brunet
        50857 by: Yasuo Ohgaki

cannot use a full URL in a 401 ErrorDocument directive --- ignoring!
        50837 by: Markus Held

Security Issue
        50838 by: Jim Persson

Re: how to include() a string
        50840 by: Zeev Suraski

Re: crypting a database
        50841 by: bill

phpMyAdmin user administration script for you
        50842 by: Ian LeBlanc

Get the string between custom delimiters
        50843 by: Matthew Ralston

Temporary directory for GD functions
        50844 by: Sarto Beaudoin

Get the title from an HTML page
        50846 by: Matthew Ralston

LDAP Authentication
        50847 by: Romulo Pereira

About MS SQL
        50849 by: Hassan Arteaga
        50851 by: Matthew Ralston
        50852 by: Hassan Arteaga
        50853 by: Hassan Arteaga
        50858 by: Hassan Arteaga
        50860 by: Matthew Ralston
        50862 by: Hassan Arteaga
        50865 by: Matthew Ralston
        50866 by: Hassan Arteaga

Problem with Sablot/PHP4
        50850 by: Yarek

recipients <list>
        50854 by: Ian LeBlanc

Php + mysql - How to turn off threaded client code
        50855 by: Vimal Uppal

lex error in make of PHP_4.0.2/Zend
        50859 by: Surinder Singh
        50863 by: Andi Gutmans
        50864 by: Andi Gutmans

Command Line
        50861 by: Randy Johnson

Checking query suceeded
        50867 by: Jordan Elver

Administrivia:

To subscribe to the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To unsubscribe from the digest, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To post to the list, e-mail:
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]

  Hello everyone,

  I'm curious. Which is the better practice?
   1) Insert the HTML page (...HTML code) in the database ?

   or

   2) Insert a URL in the database field, that points to the HTML page?

  why?

  Any help will be appreciated.

  Btw, thank you all for helping with my previous questions.

 ==FOLLOW-UP ==-================
 = PHP Ultradev Browser Model ==
 ===============================

 FYI
  For those who care about the PHP-Ultradev Server Model (PHAKT).
  I finally got it to work. Everything works for MySQL.
  However, you have to make some manual changes for it to work with MS
  Access. The changes are as follow:

   1) You have to add the 'Access' or 'ODBC' "Connection Type", in the
      server model's CONNECTION File
      (accessed via Modify->Connection->New).

      To do so:
       a) open (from the Ultradev Configuration folder)
           Connection->PHP->Win->Connection_php_adodb.htm

       b) add the value pairs  access/access, and/or odbc/odbc, to the
          dropdown list for 'Connection Type'.

       Without this, you can only select MySQL as the connection type.
       This means that ADOBD will use the wrong drivers to connect to
       your DB.

  2) There is an ERROR in the ADODB ODBC configuration file. The ODBC
     file has a format error in the ODBC connection call.
     (Site Root Folder ->ADODB->adodb-odbc.inc.php)

   The file tries to connect (to the DB) with

   $dbh = odbc_connect ('$hostname', $username,$password);

   That is an error. The correct format is

   $dbh = odbc_connect ('$DSN_NAME', $username, $password);

   You do not need to specify the host, for an ODBC connection. That
   information is already listed in the DSN description.

   Once that's done. You'll be able to use Ultradev with PHP.

   I hope that helped.

   -John

   Again, thanks to everyone who helped me find this extension.
   Don't forget my new question :)  see above.

__________John Monfort_________________
_+-----------------------------------+_
     P E P I E  D E S I G N S
       www.pepiedesigns.com
"The world is waiting, are you ready?"
-+___________________________________+-

If you ever need to update the HTML, option 2 will be a lot easier.

Mick

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001, John Monfort wrote:

>   Hello everyone,
>
>   I'm curious. Which is the better practice?
>    1) Insert the HTML page (...HTML code) in the database ?
>
>    or
>
>    2) Insert a URL in the database field, that points to the HTML page?
>

>   why?
>
>   Any help will be appreciated.
>
>   Btw, thank you all for helping with my previous questions.
>
>  ==FOLLOW-UP ==-================
>  = PHP Ultradev Browser Model ==
>  ===============================
>
>  FYI
>   For those who care about the PHP-Ultradev Server Model (PHAKT).
>   I finally got it to work. Everything works for MySQL.
>   However, you have to make some manual changes for it to work with MS
>   Access. The changes are as follow:
>
>    1) You have to add the 'Access' or 'ODBC' "Connection Type", in the
>       server model's CONNECTION File
>       (accessed via Modify->Connection->New).
>
>       To do so:
>        a) open (from the Ultradev Configuration folder)
>            Connection->PHP->Win->Connection_php_adodb.htm
>
>        b) add the value pairs  access/access, and/or odbc/odbc, to the
>           dropdown list for 'Connection Type'.
>
>        Without this, you can only select MySQL as the connection type.
>        This means that ADOBD will use the wrong drivers to connect to
>        your DB.
>
>   2) There is an ERROR in the ADODB ODBC configuration file. The ODBC
>      file has a format error in the ODBC connection call.
>      (Site Root Folder ->ADODB->adodb-odbc.inc.php)
>
>    The file tries to connect (to the DB) with
>
>    $dbh = odbc_connect ('$hostname', $username,$password);
>
>    That is an error. The correct format is
>
>    $dbh = odbc_connect ('$DSN_NAME', $username, $password);
>
>    You do not need to specify the host, for an ODBC connection. That
>    information is already listed in the DSN description.
>

>    Once that's done. You'll be able to use Ultradev with PHP.
>
>    I hope that helped.
>
>    -John
>
>    Again, thanks to everyone who helped me find this extension.
>    Don't forget my new question :)  see above.
>

> __________John Monfort_________________
> _+-----------------------------------+_
>      P E P I E  D E S I G N S
>        www.pepiedesigns.com
> "The world is waiting, are you ready?"

Using an URL to point to an HTML page or file is
better.

Inserting the HTML page in the database would cause:
a) more database requests and thus heavy load on the
database
b) large amount traffic between the database server
and the web server

At my previous company we even ended up removing the
text from the database and placing it as files on the
disk...

--- John Monfort <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

http://auctions.yahoo.com/

Will you ever want to do database-ish things with the contents of the
page?  (Allow somebody to search for words or phrases in the body, for
example?)

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger

Hi,

     I would like to run a du command to find out how many bytes of each
databases is consuming under PHP+ Apache.  But, the problem is I am not able
to count the bytes of the databases in MySQL, because the user and group is
set to MySQL.  On the other hand, My Web server is running on user nobody
and group nobody.  So, What suggestion will you give me in order to count
the bytes of each database is consuming using apache + PHP.

Should I change the apache's user and group to mysql or Should I make the
mysql database world readable.

Any Suggestions is helpful.

Thanks in Advance

Mark

hello.
i'm trying to detect what browser version is there...i'm using get_browser()
as it was documented:

$t = get_browser();

var_dump($t);

and all i can get like output is:
bool(false)

According to http://php.net/manual/en/function.get-browser.php, the
get_browser() function looks up its information in a browscap.ini file.
I'd start by making sure that you actually have a browscap.ini, and that
your copy of PHP is configured properly to be able to locate it.

---
Mark Roedel ([EMAIL PROTECTED])  ||  "There cannot be a crisis next week.
Systems Programmer / WebMaster  ||   My schedule is already full."
     LeTourneau University      ||                    -- Henry Kissinger

You have a browsecap.ini file and it is in the correct location?

At 11:04 AM 4/30/01 -0700, elias wrote:
>hello.
>i'm trying to detect what browser version is there...i'm using get_browser()
>as it was documented:
>

>$t = get_browser();
>
>var_dump($t);
>
>and all i can get like output is:
>bool(false)
>

>--

Hi,

I'm having trouble with a two dimensional array with sessions.
Following is an example of my code which is split between three pages.

--------------------------------
### myFunctions.php ###

function addToMyArray($newStuff)
{
   global $myArray;
   $myArray[]=array("id"=>$newStuff[myId],"name"=>$newStuff[name]);
}

### mainPage.php ###

session_start();
include("myFunctions.php");

$myArray=array();
session_register(myArray);

// add some stuff to myArray here to highlight the prob
$myArray[]=array("id"=>"1","name"=>"gabby");
$myArray[]=array("id"=>"2","name"=>"marla");

..

// if conditions meet
   addToMyArray($HTTP_POST_VARS);

// code to open myOtherWindow.php in a new window.

// code to submit a form whos action is PHP_SELF

### myOtherWindow.php ###

session_start();

// code to display contents of myArray

------------------------------

Now on first call to addToMyArray()
I have three elements two that I added directly
and one via the function call.

Now if the function gets called again there is still
only 3 elements .. two that I added directly and the
third one from the latest function call.
The element from the first call has simply vanished !!!
And that's my problem, why is the element vanishing ???

Thanx,
Christian

Hi Everyone,

Firstly, apologies for cross posting but I wanted to make sure this got to
the relevant people.

I am continually getting people asking me off list for information regarding
building the above combination. I don't mind as it's encouraging to see PHP
spreading to this type of platform. All I ask is that if anyone requires
help then please direct it to the PHP-Install list so others may benefit
from the replies given. I will try to compile a complete install guide when
I get time and perhaps one of the PHP associated sites would be able to host
it. It maybe an idea for others to contribute with their particular build so
that a centrally managed install guide could be set up and perhaps free up
some of the traffic on the lists?

Best regards,
- Paul -

The dbase module you are trying to install does not match the version of
php. If you get the extension from the same distribution as the php modules
then it should work. You can get the full distribution zip for 4.0.4pl1 from
the downloads page at www.php.net at the moment. You may be able to get
4.0.5 later today if all goes to plan.

Cheers

PS When you do get it working you still may have problems since you have
configured PWS to use the ISAPI module which you may find to be pretty
unstable. I would advise use of the CGI version of PHP if things are a bit
flakey.
--
Phil Driscoll
Dial Solutions

Dunno, it sounds silly, but just assuming...
Does it happen that you know "Micheal Driscoll"? He works for Land Rover UK?

""Phil Driscoll"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
008001c0d153$debbbc30$0c01a8c0@philsntserver">news:008001c0d153$debbbc30$0c01a8c0@philsntserver...
> The dbase module you are trying to install does not match the version of
> php. If you get the extension from the same distribution as the php
modules
> then it should work. You can get the full distribution zip for 4.0.4pl1
from
> the downloads page at www.php.net at the moment. You may be able to get
> 4.0.5 later today if all goes to plan.
>
> Cheers
>
> PS When you do get it working you still may have problems since you have
> configured PWS to use the ISAPI module which you may find to be pretty
> unstable. I would advise use of the CGI version of PHP if things are a bit
> flakey.
> --
> Phil Driscoll
> Dial Solutions
> +44 (0)113 294 5112
> http://www.dialsolutions.com
> http://www.dtonline.org

Why does this work :

$categorySplit = split(",", $row['category']);

while (list($key, $value) = each ( $categorySplit )) {
        $categoryArray["$value"] = 1;
}

But this not :

while (list($key, $value) = each ( split(",", $row['category']) )) {
        $categoryArray["$value"] = 1;
}

I keep getting "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded" errors.

Thanks in advance.

Nick.

Nick Davies wrote:
> Why does this work :
>
> $categorySplit = split(",", $row['category']);
>
> while (list($key, $value) = each ( $categorySplit )) {
> $categoryArray["$value"] = 1;
> }
>
> But this not :
>
> while (list($key, $value) = each ( split(",", $row['category']) )) {
> $categoryArray["$value"] = 1;
> }
>
> I keep getting "Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded" errors.

$categorySplit contains an array, while split(",", $row['category']) creates
a new array.

In your second example, you are creating a new array every time that the
while loop runs. This makes the loop condition always true, so the loop runs
til PHP exceeds the max allowed run time.

--zak

Anybody here make their own news scripts? If so would you mind giving me a download
url or sending it to me? I would appreciate anything like that. Thanks.

-chris

hmm?
you want our own scripts?
you want to run some sort of script repository ?
anyway, you can always check my site from time to time for new scripts...

-elias
http://eassoft.cjb.net

""chris herring"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
002701c0d157$0883f700$26b2fea9@socialoutkast">news:002701c0d157$0883f700$26b2fea9@socialoutkast...
Anybody here make their own news scripts? If so would you mind giving me a
download url or sending it to me? I would appreciate anything like that.
Thanks.

-chris

Well, I suppose it's a well known problem, but I haven't found a solution
yet...

As you know, when you don't use sessions, you can use the "back" button of
your browser, or the javascript commande "history.back()". In the same time,
you don't have to put some "nocache" header to have your dynamic pages
refreshed when it change.
Well. This very good. The "back" button use cache, but when you reload a
page, it never take it from the cache (except the images).

But when you use session, it's got wrong (as you can see, my English is a
little bit approximate)

With the session_cache_limiter at "nocache" in the php.ini, in most case,
the "back" button don't work anymore.

And if I set the session_cache_limiter to "private", the "back" button work
fine, but on the other hand, when you reload a page, it take it from the
cache, until you make a "hard reload". Not cool. :+/

So, somebody can explain me why the fact of using sessions change the
functioning of the cache ?

And is there a solution ?

Thanks a lot. :+)

There is a functions called session_cache_limiter().
Use this function before you output anything (or use ob_start(), if you would
like)

Regards,
--
Yasuo Ohgaki

"Matthieu Brunet" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> Well, I suppose it's a well known problem, but I haven't found a solution
> yet...
>
> As you know, when you don't use sessions, you can use the "back" button of
> your browser, or the javascript commande "history.back()". In the same time,
> you don't have to put some "nocache" header to have your dynamic pages
> refreshed when it change.
> Well. This very good. The "back" button use cache, but when you reload a
> page, it never take it from the cache (except the images).
>
> But when you use session, it's got wrong (as you can see, my English is a
> little bit approximate)
>
> With the session_cache_limiter at "nocache" in the php.ini, in most case,
> the "back" button don't work anymore.
>
> And if I set the session_cache_limiter to "private", the "back" button work
> fine, but on the other hand, when you reload a page, it take it from the
> cache, until you make a "hard reload". Not cool. :+/
>
> So, somebody can explain me why the fact of using sessions change the
> functioning of the cache ?
>
> And is there a solution ?
>
> Thanks a lot. :+)

Hello,

big,big problem !

What is this in my httpd.error.log! My only different to an other surfer is
i've installed php4 on this machine

snooter

I have compiled my Apache server with suexec support. So the CGI scripts is
executed as the owner of the scripts. But PHP scripts is still executed as
the same user as the Apache daemon runs as (www).

This is a big security issue for me because I intend to use .htaccess and
.htpasswd files to protect some files. These files can easily be read with
the following PHP script

<?php
 passthru($cmd);
?>

I have ~users on my system with their own public_html and cgi-bin...
/Jim

At 18:13 29/4/2001, Luca wrote:
> > >If you can develop your application without using eval() you're
> > >better off as it is very slow.
>
>So, can think of faster solutions?

This only applies to using eval() as a 'mainstream' programming technique
(e.g., instead of using other language features such as indirect reference,
etc.).  If what you have to do is execute code in a string, then eval() is
exactly what you want.  eval() in PHP 4.0 is very similar to include(), and
is pretty much the same thing, except the code is not read from a file, but
from a string (it used to be considerably worse than include() in PHP 3.0).

Zeev

There al RC4 crypt/decrypt class here:

Class Made By Mukul Sabharwal [[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
http://www.devhome.net/php/
On October 21, 2000

kind regards,

bill hollett

Augusto Cesar Castoldi wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Anyone have some function to crypt and text then decrypt?
>
> regards,
>
> Augusto Cesar Castoldi

If any of you use phpMyAdmin
a while back when the new version came out I designed a User Admin
for it. Which makes adding new users and assigning them permissions a simple
3 second job....

You can check it out at http://www.2tonecafe.com/scripts/useradmin/
Regards,

Ian LeBlanc
Web Development
Rask, Inc. - www.rask.com
Phone: (727) 517-2000
Fax:   (727) 517-2001

Is there a nice easy function that could be used to get a sub string that
lies in between two other sub strings in one big string.

For example... get the text that lies in between "<title>" and "</title>"
(without the quotes) in the code of a web page.

I'm after a function like:

string getstring_between_customdelimiters(string source, string
open_delimiter, sting close_delimiter)

Or something that could be easily be used in that manner. Case insensitive
if possible!

Thanks,

Matt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
< www.mralston.co.uk />

We use Php4 with the dynamic graphic functions (GD). Our server is Apache on
windows NT. One of the graphic function (imagePNG)creates a temporary file
in the directory c:/. We would like to know if it is possible to have this
file created in an other directory (ex : c:/temp).

Thanks for your help.

Sarto Beaudoin
Professeur
Departement d'informatique
College du Vieux-Montreal

I'll be loading the contents of an HTML page into a variable and I need to
get the title of the from that variable.

Basically I need to ge the text from in between the <title> tags.
Any ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
< www.mralston.co.uk />

Hello,

I am trying ot understand how could a PHP script authenticate against a LDAP tree
(NDS) that is not in the same host?

Anyone has an example about that?

TIA

Rom

Hi all !!
I'm trying to connecto to MS SQL Database
I receive this error MSG
"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mssql_connect() in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myphp\sqltest.php on line 13 "

The line 13 is
$Conn=mssql_connect("bbbb","bbbb","bbbb");

Thanks in advanced !!!

--
M. Sc. Hassan Arteaga Rodríguez
Microsoft Certified System Engineer

Think you might need to enable the ms sql server module in the php.ini file.

--
Thanks,

Matt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
< www.mralston.co.uk />

Hassan Arteaga <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
7F548E90E63BD1118E4600609707771F8BEFF9@goliath">news:7F548E90E63BD1118E4600609707771F8BEFF9@goliath...
Hi all !!
I'm trying to connecto to MS SQL Database
I receive this error MSG
"Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mssql_connect() in
C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\myphp\sqltest.php on line 13 "

The line 13 is
$Conn=mssql_connect("bbbb","bbbb","bbbb");

Thanks in advanced !!!

--
M. Sc. Hassan Arteaga Rodríguez
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
Network Admin, WEB Programmer
FUNDYCS, Ltd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thaks Romulo..but I think I have MS SQL the only problem that I talking
about MS SQL 2000..What can I do ?
___________________

;Windows Extensions
;Note that MySQL and ODBC support is now built in, so no dll is needed for
it.
;
extension=php_mssql70.dll

_____________________

Thanks !!!

--
M. Sc. Hassan Arteaga Rodríguez
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
Network Admin, WEB Programmer
FUNDYCS, Ltd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ok...I have to try with the ODBC functions ?

Thanks !!!

--
M. Sc. Hassan Arteaga Rodríguez
Microsoft Certified System Engineer
Network Admin, WEB Programmer
FUNDYCS, Ltd
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

For example if my SQL installation files are in c:\MSSQL  what is the right
configuration ? extension_dir=c:\MSSQL;
Now I just made the  job with ODBC functions but I would like to use SQL
function !!

thanks !!!