Nic Appleby wrote:
Hi there

I have a php web script which communicates with a server using sockets.
There is a method in which the client listens for messages from the
server, and this blocks the client. I need a way to 'fork' a process or to get this method to run in the
background so that i can process user input while not interrupting the
protocol.

I have searched all over the web with no luck, can anyone point me in
the right direction?

thanks
nic

All Email originating from UWC is covered by disclaimer http://www.uwc.ac.za/portal/uwc2006/content/mail_disclaimer/index.htm

You may be able to do this with asynchronous sockets without forking. With them, you can poll the sockets for new data in between processing user input requests. It might not be quite as fast, but it'll be a lot easier to work with.

Regards, Adam Zey.