What version of PHP are you using?
I suspect something less then 5.0 which means the public/private declarations are not supported...
(So remove 'public' and see if it works)
-Brad

Dave M G wrote:

PHP List,

I am in the preliminary stages of designing my first object oriented PHP based web site.

I've created file called "article.class" and included it in my index.php file. I put in a very simple echo statement, just as a place marker before I put in the real code, and just to make sure that the index.php file is successfully including the class.

So far, it just looks like this (including line numbers):

4. class article{
5. public function edit(){
6. echo "test";
7. }
8. }

However, when I view my index.php, it says:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected T_STRING, expecting T_OLD_FUNCTION or T_FUNCTION or T_VAR or '}' in /web/article.class on line 5

Of course I consulted the PHP manual to make sure that I had the class syntax correct, and it seems that I've followed the basic structure as described there.

Where have I gone wrong?

Thank you for any advice.

--

Dave M G