To answer both of you:

$var = new stdClass();

is perfectly acceptable.  I do it all the time.  The caveat is that the
behavior is slightly different in PHP 4 than PHP 5.

In PHP 4, $var would behave exactly like an associative array, just with
different funky characters to access its properties.  Internally, in fact,
they're represented the same.

In PHP 5, $var would behave exactly like an associative array, EXCEPT when
passing it as a parameter to a function.  In PHP 4, objects pass by value by
default.  In PHP 5, they pass by reference by default.

Also, yes, casting an object to an array or vice versa is much faster than
manually iterating it.  So:

$var = (object)array('a'=>'foo', 'b'=>'bar', 'c'=>'baz');

Is perfectly acceptable.  I've never tried casting to some other type of
class, though.  Give it a try and let us know how it goes. :-)

--
Larry Garfield                  AIM: LOLG42
[EMAIL PROTECTED]               ICQ: 6817012

Jefferson