Hi,

I have several websites that are using a common set of pages (to reduce
maintenance, development and upgrading) and use configuration files to give
the customer the feeling that it is their own unique site. The customers are
all universities and use the sites to manage digitisation and copyright
permission processes. These sites are all hosted om my company server.

I would like them to be able to see whether a PDF file hosted by their
universities is available or not.

Using file_exists($url) won't work because the actual PDFs should be sitting
behind the universities' firewalls.

I think that something working on the client-side, such as JavaScript might
work, because it would be able to look from the client's machine to the PDF,
both of which should be behind the firewall to the PDF. However, I haven't
been able to find any js that looks like it will do that for me.

Does anyone have any constructive suggestions?

MTIA

George in Oxford