At 5:48 PM -0400 6/19/06, Jon Anderson wrote:
>John Nichel wrote:
>>Pfffftttt  I never close my option tags that way....
>>
>><option value="foo" />Bar
>>
>>:-p
>>
>I didn't think this would compute as proper XHTML...Sure enough
>validator.w3c.org says:
>
>Error /Line 10 column 10/: character data is not allowed here.
>
>|<option />*t*est|
>
>You have used character data somewhere it is not permitted to appear. Mistakes
>that can cause this error include putting text directly in the body of the
>document without wrapping it in a container element (such as a
>such as "%" and "/" are common, but cannot appear without surrounding quotes).

It depends upon what DOCTYPE you use.

For example, if you use:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd";>

There's nothing wrong with closing, or not closing, an option tag in just about
any fashion you want. In fact all four below will validate:

<option value="123" > item

<option value="123" /> item

<option value="123"> item </option>

<option value="123"/> item </option>

As far as using "value=", I believe the DOCTYPE determines what tags are
allowed what attributes.

As for XHTML, I find that an unusual bird for validation and getting things to
work well.

tedd