filename=$EXPORT_TIME.txt");
> >>header("Content-disposition: attachment");
> >

> > You're overwritting the Content-disposition header with one that
doesn't
> > supply a suggested filename.  The first Content-disposition header
is
> > not being sent at all, so IE is guessing at a filename.  Take a look
at
> > the headers your browser is receiving.  You'll probably find that's
> > what's going on.
>
> I must be missing something. The line
>
> header("Content-disposition: attachment; filename=$EXPORT_TIME.txt");
>
> *IS* supplying the suggested filename. $EXPORT_TIME had been created
> earlier in the script - but even .txt would have been a legal (albeit
> dumb and unintended) filename - hidden in real OS's, but it's legal.
>
> Where is the filename being omitted?
> I appreciate the help.

You're overwriting that line with:

header("Content-disposition: attachment");

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.header.php

By default, if you supply two headers of the same type, you're
overwriting the first with the last (see the second parameter of
header()).  I don't know if there's configure setting that changes that
behavior, but if I run your code on my server, the ONLY
Content-disposition header I get is:

I do not get the other one that sets the filename.

kgt